Mission Statement and Organizational Principles
The Vermont Superintendents Association is a professional organization committed to excellence in education and equity in educational opportunities. Membership is comprised of superintendents and assistant superintendents. The Association was formed in the early 1940's as an affiliate branch of the Vermont Education Association. In 1969, Vermont superintendents established an independent professional organization.
Education and educational opportunity are the foundation of a free and democratic society. A quality education for all citizens is essential to maintain the benefits that accrue to every individual as the result of living in a free and democratic society. Furthermore, a well-educated, knowledgeable electorate is requisite to maintaining that status. Vermont and Vermonters will prosper in direct correlation to the education and skills of its citizens.
The Vermont Superintendents Association believes that the public interest is best served through assuring the availability of high quality education for all, and that knowledgeable, ethical and effective administrators are essential to achieving educational excellence. VSA provides leadership through:
- Initiating and supporting laws, policies, research and practice in an effort to improve public education.
- Promoting programs and activities that focus on leadership for learning and educational excellence.
- Cultivating a climate in which quality education can thrive.
- Supporting effective programs to meet the educational needs of children.
- Establishing environments that nurture equity and diversity for all youth.